John Brush is a writing professor at Long Island University and a recipient of the Philbrick Poetry Award. He currently teaches Advanced Creative Writing, Children’s Literature, Digital Storytelling, Poetry and Lyrics, and Advanced Professional Writing. After graduating with a B.A. in English from Providence College, John continued his studies and earned an M.F.A. in English and Writing from Long Island University. He now lives with his wife, Christine, on Long Island’s east end and is currently writing children’s picture books and prose poetry.
Fun facts about John:
- He wrote hip-hop music for over 15 years. He still raps but usually only in his car when no one else is around.
- His favorite sport is basketball, and he will gladly challenge anyone to a game of H-O-R-S-E or one-on-one. He dunked once, but never in a game. He had one witness, and that person no longer remembers it ever happened.
- He loves being out in nature. A walk in the woods is one of his favorite things.
- His hobbies include birdwatching, fishing, coin collecting, metal detecting, and writing. His friends say their grandfathers have the same interests.
- His car once broke down in the middle lane of the interstate during rush hour. He made a whole city late for work that day. A lot of people were mad at him, but he learned two important lessons: 1. Strange car noises don’t fix themselves. 2. Try not to be afraid of what might happen. If it does happen, you’ll find a way through it.
- You can follow him on Twitter @johndbrush.