By Michelle Lynn Senters
Today, we have a fun writing prompt and an opportunity to publish your story on KIDS ARE WRITERS.
Some friendships come easy. We laugh alike. We sound alike. We look alike. We eat the same foods, speak the same language, and laugh at the same jokes. While these friendships are great to have, they are often less than exciting to read about.
On the other hand, some friendships are unexpected and highly unusual. They must overcome great adversity to build trust and maintain a friendship. These friendships are powerful examples of our need to connect with one another. Unexpected friendships make fantastic stories.
Today, we are writing a short story about Unexpected Friendships.
- Choose two characters from the photos below who would make unlikely friends. You may also choose characters not shown in the photo, if desired.
- Determine the adversity they must overcome to build their friendship. (different habitats, natural enemies, drastic size difference, predator/prey)
- Before you write, ask yourself some questions.
- What is the habitat and characteristics of each character? (character development)
- How did the characters meet? (scene and plot development)
- What was their first reaction to one another? (plot development)
- What struggle must they face in order to become friends? (crisis)
- How did the characters overcome their struggle? (solution)
- What does their friendship look like at the end of the story and how do other characters react to it? (closure)
OPPORTUNITY TO PUBLISH ON KIDS ARE WRITERS!
KIDS ARE WRITERS will publish the first 10 stories submitted.
To submit, copy and paste your story into the contact form below.
Stories should be thoughtfully written and edited according to your age and writing development.
Be sure to include a title, your first name, age, and location.
As soon as we have enough entries, we will post “Closed to submissions” here.
Click HERE to read the stories submitted so far.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT UNLIKELY FRIENDSHIPS
Watch a video about the friendship between Bella the Elephant and Tara the dog: click here.
Look at a slideshow of unlikely animal friendships: click here.
Learn about an amazing friendship between a lion, tiger, and bear (9 minute, educational video): click here.
Michelle Lynn Senters is the Founder and Director of KIDS ARE WRITERS. She spends her days working as a Reading Interventionist and spends her evenings writing books for children and adults. You can learn more about Michelle HERE and at www.michellelynnsenters.com.